March 13, 2020.
Message from the race director.
The IMT Des Moines Marathon race weekend is scheduled to be held as planned the weekend of October 16 – 18, 2020 in Des Moines.
We will continue to monitor the COVID-19 response and the efforts events are currently taking to prevent and mitigate future risks, while taking the appropriate steps to promote the safety of our athletes, volunteers, spectators, and community as whole.
We also are in contact with City of Des Moines officials and local health officials, and will continue to do so as we plan for yet another successful race weekend. This includes any necessary updates from our local and state agency guidelines on large public gatherings. As well as reviewing our emergency preparedness plan of operation and protocol to ensure that the proper entities outside of this organization are involved in the planning and implementation of a safe race weekend for you.
Again, the IMT Des Moines Marathon has no plans at this time to change the schedule of events or race activities. Should our current planning require changes as we move through the next few months, we will communicate them promptly and thoroughly to you.
Please follow the guidance from the Center for Diseases Control and Prevention (CDC) to help prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Stay home when you are sick, except to get medical care.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects daily.
Your IMT Des Moines Marathon Race Committee looks forward to seeing you for the 19th running of the IMT Des Moines Marathon.
In the meantime, let’s go for a run. Thank you.