June 18, 2020 message from the race director.
The IMT Des Moines Marathon is scheduled to be held as planned.
Within the past month, the mayor of Des Moines and the governor of Iowa have provided guidelines for the return of events that will allow for mass gatherings in 2020 as the state of Iowa continues to reopen. As your race director, I am working diligently to put together a plan for racing that not only meets but exceeds these guidelines.
While the final decision for a safe and healthy event is still dependent on the fluid public health situation we are all facing, I now have the ability to plan the IMT Des Moines Marathon events based on policies and procedures designed specifically to mitigate the spread of Covid-19 at our event.
As of today, these plans include an in-person packet pick-up, expo, and speaker series, as well as the full schedule of weekend races that look out for your best interests and longevity, as well as those of our volunteers, vendors, and community.
ere are some registration reminders as our plan for in-person racing continues so that you can feel comfortable about registering, training, AND participating in the IMT Des Moines Marathon:
- Event registration remains open.
- The extension of spring pricing for all event categories expires this Sunday, June 21, at 11:59 p.m. CST.
- Event categories will return to the standard fee structure starting Monday, June 22, with the next fee increase to take place Sunday, July 19 at 11:59 p.m.
- A virtual event option is still being considered. However, unlikely. Details will be announced should a virtual event option become viable. Here are the results from the May bulletin athlete poll asking if you would like to see a virtual event option offered in 2020:
- 44% no, but thank you for asking.
- 32% yes, in addition to the in-person event.
- 24% yes, but only if the in-person event cannot take place as planned.
In the meantime, the IMT Des Moines Marathon contingency plan offers a variety of race weekend scenarios to ensure that the event will be held in a safe manner and within the guidelines set forth by the state of Iowa and the city of Des Moines.
- If modifications are made, and if those modifications don’t meet your needs as an athlete, you would have the option to opt-out of this year’s event (fees may apply) and defer your paid registration to 2021.
- However, the IMT Des Moines Marathon will not refund race entry fees if the in-person event is modified or canceled in 2020.
Again, the IMT Des Moines Marathon plans for in-person race activities the weekend of October 16-18.
Chris Burch, Race Director, IMT Des Moines Marathon